Friday, January 14, 2011

Goblin Adventures

This is my first sizable WoW blog using images hosted at IMGboot.com. So far it looks pretty good.

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com
When I got sick of dailies I decided to see what the Goblin starting area & quests are like. I'd already seen a few Worgen while running around & frankly I think the Alliance got gypped this expansion. What a gay looking race. Seriously. I thought Worgen were supposed to be wolf like. These things look like freaking badgers. Tall badgers.

Image hosting by IMGBoot.comI initially rolled a mage (for Audrey, since she doesn't already have one) but later decided on a rogue & after going through all my First Choice rogue names, ended up naming it after one of my menehune friends. I frankly think that Goblins are a lot more like menehunes than gnomes.

The Goblin starting area is a dark, stinky looking city of refuse & pollution. You'd think that it would be an immediate turn off but I was fascinated by the amount of garish detail put into this new zone. I was totally won over when I received a car in my 3rd or 4th quest, complete with 3 goblin friends who spend the next few levels riding around with me, fawning over me, & laughing at my hijinks.

This car was awesome. One of the crappy things about leveling a new character is that you don't have wheels. Not only did I have wheels, but they were pretty uber wheels. You could catch all kinds of air with this car & land unharmed, do all kinds of four wheeling, & run over pedestrians. This is one of those little perks during leveling that could potentially keep you from leveling because all you'd want to do all day long is drive around looking for pedestrians. I actually spent awhile trying to see how many different epithets I could garner in one hit. Screenshotting it all was another matter, of course.

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Image hosting by IMGBoot.comMy friend Phil wanted to check out the goblin area & so I rolled a priest to run around with him. I figured I should mention that in case anyone wonders why I'm wearing a dress in some of the screenshots. But really, it was just an excuse to drive the hotrod around town & hit pedestrians again.

I was sad to lose my wheels when we moved on to the next leveling area. However, The Lost Isles were beautiful enough to ease my pain. I've always liked tropical zones - Oasis of Marr, Stranglethorn Vale - & this was a superb one. Just the clear, clean, Fiji-like water was uplifting. It actually reminded me a little of Sega Marine Fishing except there were pretty much only sharks swimming around.

After a sea voyage cinematic that had me laughing out loud (goblins are so hilarious) we shipwrecked, & I was brought back to life by - you guessed it - goblin jumper cables. I want to buy ice cream for whoever planned out the goblins because the whole journey has been uplifting just for the humor planted in details everywhere along the way.

Also, there are dragonflies. They do look just a smidgen Disneyish, but still. As I was running up one of the paths I noticed these things flitting around me like they were curious.

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com
There were a number of fun & funny quests, involving sharks with lasers & a town that comes out of a box (kind of like an ACME Town: just add water) & of course bombing & plane flying & fire jetting. Those goblins have all kinds of ingenious contraptions. One of my favorites involved weed whacking.
Image hosting by IMGBoot.com Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

One of the first quests I received upon arriving in (or actually, the arrival of) Town-In-A-Box was the capture of chickens running around the area by attaching rockets to them. This was kind of weird - why not just grab them? - but then the Goblins seem to do many things rather nefariously. Later on it was discovered that one of the rocket-bearing chickens had escaped... & it was my mission to kill it & retrieve its egg.
Image hosting by IMGBoot.com Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Town-In-A-Box (One --- cut a hole in the box) in itself was already pretty funny, but I was especially amused by the Warrior trainer. When the town was invaded by pygmies, Warrior Trainer was surrounded by pygmy corpses. Wow.
Image hosting by IMGBoot.com Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Town-In-A-Box also had an extremely convenient, efficient array of profession trainers. This was really nice because normally one is accustomed to only seeing a few trainers of the total professions in the game in their starting area, but the gobins' technology enabled them to have everything right here. And a trade vendor too.
Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

Image hosting by IMGBoot.comOnce my priest finished all her Lost Isles quests & got on the ship to Orgrimmar, things got somewhat boring again. The quests in Azshara are still new, but somehow they're not as funny. Or maybe it's just that I'm now in Azshara & there aren't funny-looking dragonflies flitting around my head. I actually haven't done that many quests yet, so I'm probably judging too soon. But really, hats off to the folks who designed the goblins' first dozen levels. That was a great adventure.

I should probably also try out a Worgen, as silly as I think they look, just to see what their starting area & quests are like. If they're anywhere as fun as the Goblins' I'll feel a little happier for the Alliance.

So far Cataclysm has been my favorite expansion; I've really enjoyed the new world & the new zones & the only thing that kinda dampens it is that I'm doing a lot of that alone, as some of my favorite people to play with have either quit or are still on the old server. I do wish you guys would head over to this server. It really is a lot better than Staghelm.

Just look at that beach, huh?
Image hosting by IMGBoot.com

1 comment:

  1. I havent made a goblin yet but I did go through a bunch of the goblin quests in Azshara and some of them were hilarious. Dont want to give up any spoilers but Ill say it was the quests around the western end of the rocket highway thing.

    ReplyDelete